EAST HAVEN HISTORICAL SOCIETY.COM
Your Subtitle text
Home
The East Haven Historical Society was officially established in 1969. The chief purpose of this society is to persevere the past and protect the best of the present and build a better community. Today's organization continues to be dedicated to the preservation not only to our history but also of our buildings and landmarks. The society is was located in our old high school but has moved to the old  Hay`s elementry school  at the end -1 maple street - foxon- East Haven Connecticut. The Museum is now open wednesday 11 am to 2 pm . You are cordially invited to visit our new location.

WELCOME to the East Haven Historical Society old web sight, it was created in 2011 for the society and managed by George Buckley it will continue without the Society`s participation. They have decided to do a new web site so please look for it at  easthavenhistorical.webs.com/ I hope you had a great time visiting this sight and still do,it has been and still will be funded at my expense. Photos you see here are from the past ,as stories from the old news papers .This sight will still change from time to time . 

  East Haven today is alot different than 400 years ago . This town was a Village in the 1650s , and  struggled to become a Incorporated as a town . The first part (oldest)of East Haven was around the Now Known center (Green ) on the corner of Hemingway and Main Streets . The family's of Bradley's, Smith's, Hemingway's are from the days of England's rule . Indians shared the lands until the lands were removed from them . The Indian reservation was the old light house area in New Haven that used to be part of the village of East Haven. The new government of the United states took  possession of it and made it the reservation, later to be used for the light house. Fair Haven  known as dragon . a growing village of East Haven in the 1800s became a village of its own.  Growing fast from  oysters and the shipping became a port town  along the Quinnipiac river. The town was divided over the bridges that was built privately but turned over to the town, do to the maintenance and replacement costs .From debts of the wars and  the bridges , fair haven and the (annex) as it is now known was sold to New haven. currently most of what was of the then fair haven has disappeared in time .a road across the dragon bridge to the road know known as Quinnipiac ave was the only road to North Haven and North Branford through East Haven in the village of Foxon .Trains and Trolleys had come to the villages in the late 1800s and 1900s. The shoreline electric railroad was built from state street to the village of  Guilford . East haven today is a thriving bedroom community of the city of New Haven. One time in the 1890s-1900s this was a resort town . Lake Saltonstall had steamers ,picnic areas , swimming ,boating and fishing.  The Yale boat teams used to race here on the lake .The Trolley company built a line from the Morris cove area to lake Saltonstall owned by George H.Townsend but sold it to the New Haven water Co. In its hay day you would get there by stagecoach for !5 cents . Residents made about 3 dollars a week then ,you could take the trolley for 5 cents ,school children got books of 50 tickets at 2.50 making it 5 cents to go to school in new haven by trolley.the tracks were pulled up from lake saltonstall and moved to momauguin  cosy beach where a hotel was built buy the trolley company after lake Saltonstall was closed to the puplic.we now switch to Cosy beach and Silversands ,hotels and bathing became very popular as well as dining.East Haven was as beautiful with silvery sand glowing in the sun ,cool blue waters of long island sound as well as the escape of all the smoke from new haven factory's and city living . Cosy beach became the hottest summer place to be .building summer homes and other lodging hotels .Mansfield cove was also a attraction with a hotel and eatery,dancing ,camping ,boating fishing ,bathing know known as swimming .up untill 1938 hurricane it all prosperd .the invention of the auto wiped out the need for the trolleys .by the 1950s .metal for the war the  tracks and pole and lines were all gone .The beach was wiped out by the hurricane .Not much of the beach was rebuilt but by the 1970s the beach area was ready for revitalization,making it what it is to day.  silversands hotel was torn down and  used to have talented popular artists performing there.The Bridgeport university collage now in Bridgeport used to have owned the property here and use it .the center of town as we know know it was very different in the 1890s. Picture as you will  homes all along the street from Hemingway ave  to the town line today .Homes covered both sides of the street as farms .notable a few stores operated out of the wooden structures.the old stone church was a center attraction  for them that lived in the now town of East Haven.The first church was in the green as was the school.The church was built after its likeness of the one in the state of mass.at the time it was not wise to build it out of stone .but it was built with objection across the street was a old farm and was razed to build in 1920s a bank this bank became the new home of Holcomes drugs store .later a movie house ,bowling ally ,Goodies  occupied  this building as others .The Town hall was built as well as the fire station .All removing the old farm houses that once stood in their place .The tavern across from Holcomes  that was full of East havens history was torn down and replaced by a fuel station till it also was replaced by a bank.The town grew and when the town decided to revitalize the center .by then Saltonstall parkway by past the main street going past all the stores on main street .helping to make the stores become dilapidated from less shoppers knowing they were there.it was rebuilt as you see it today .farms of the 30s became money makers for the development of neighborhoods.the ending of the war and revitalization  of new haven helped build east haven as a bigger and better bed room community .we have three super markets ,and small residential business of all kinds here to serve the residents with out really having to go any where else.this town has had its sheer of happenings in its past .three air plane accidents,hurricanes,salt storms ,tornado .  The towns fire dept was incorporated in 1900, Before in 1890s the fire dept was named in honor of mr Calvin C. Kirham hook and ladder company and was privately owned . it  was at the rear of the old  town hall .The police dept incorporated  1928, was under the new town hall and had moved to north high street  in 1972. The fire dept has been in the same building location since its corporation and  replaced its old wooden building ( moving it to the rear for the public works dept then demolished in the revitalization of the center in 1972 )with its new Georgian style brick one as you see today .at one time the only street though East Haven to new London was our main street known then as a post road made for the post men .all other paths were cow or Indian paths.eventually made into roads.our center green was once used as a market,cow feeding ,and camping for the revolutionary soldiers .East Haven has a history never told to the public in school books about the men of this time war against the British.the invasion of new haven came up on East haven shores and marched to the old stone church and down to Forbs bridge .School started on the green with a small building attached to a church .it burned down .it was rebuilt after some time across from the green . A wood school on high street was moved to the railroad station next to the high street bridge called railroad ave. (now gone )the train station was removed in the 1940s .a second school was built of brick ,then a third .by 1950s all have been made of brick even in Foxon .Foxon area was still farms but was replaced with neighborhoods to .Foxons history has a story about paul russo a real estate developer who bought a very large section of foxon .this was property on a large hilly section , that know other developer would ever have thought of doing any thing with .in the year 1900s he devoloped the now known area of foxon .he had built homes and streets calling it foxon park the magic city.he came from italy and helped import people legally from there and helped them own the homes he had built. he had even supplied the morgage and they paid him . foxon had a small rail system called the shore line electric railway that used to run right up russo ave and thats why the road splits .one side belonged to the rail road . some times you pass the trolley bridge on north high street  a part of the rail system . A church was built -called our lady of pomeii - it burned down and moved to its location today. foxons first school built on a hill near the old Matthews Mouthrups home just west of foxons center .as well as businesses like foxon park .who sold spring water in bottles , then soda with spring water .who still sells soda but not with spring water one of foxons oldest still in operation  a family owned businesses today. foxon had grown large in them days and had grown the name of foxon center . today the homes are still there the area is  growing today with new imigrants and buisnesses Today we are A modern small  town just steps from a college and medical town of new haven .moving foward slowley does let life be enjoyable.
East Haven  Connecticut MILITIA 1840 Officers and privates of fifth company ,second regiment,second brigade infantry ,member of Captian Hotchkiss company .
  1. Joseph Ives Hotchkiss -captain 
  2. Nathan Andrews -Lieutenant
  3. Philip Street -
  4. Lucius Lindsley-Orderly Sargent
  5. Edward Hemingway- Second Sargent
  6. Privates ---Jared Andrews, Charles wolcott, Edward A. Walker,Laban Smith,Ashuel Thompson,Charles bishop,Edward Thompson,Alfred Hughes,Roswell Hughes, Samuel Forbs,Robert Rowes, Jared Smith, O.b. Thompson,Thaueous Street, Abraham Chidsey,Benjamin Street,Charles Auger, Street Chidsey,Justin Bradley Henry Forbs, Jeremiah Barns,Hezekial Bradley ,William Tuttle
EAST HAVEN POLICE CHIEFS                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               1. 1928-1949 Hugh Farrell                                                                                                                                                                     2. 1949-1964 Edwin Preist                                                                                                                                                                     3. 1964-1965 Joseph Follo                                                                                                                                                                     4. 1965-1993 Joseph Pascarella                                                                                                                                                             5. 1993-1998 James Criscuolo                                                                                                                                                               6. 1998-2012 Leonard Gallo                                                                                                                                                                   7. 2012-2016 Brent Larrabee                                                                                                               
                                              8. 2016-present Edward R Lennon JR                                                                                                                                                              
cache/wst.opf.4764174.xml
OLD BUSINESS`S             EDAL factory  now torn down,  Lou`s on the beach .  Laundromat at now Ocean side store, store on silversands rd  now a home . Pat`s restaurant, was going to be a new fire dept. but now sits empty. H.C Rowe Oysters in Fair Haven which was part of East Haven at the time. Lynbrook store on tyler ave and French .Vergason`s self explained ,Post Drive in flyer for the Post Drive in where the china dragon and auto Zone is now on saltonstall parkway . the Post Drive in closed in the 70s. Pied Piper a super market on coe ave , old Hess photo from frontage rd .  East Haven Diner That was on Main street. C and f cheese on main street now torn down and is a empty lot .East Haven garage on main street ,torellos  tire still a staple of East Haven started on main street, grew and relocated on saltonstall parkway  today . Tonys  bakery building is still there ,The school  bus company sits behind this building  today . shelly at our shooting range on north high street now a military sight for training .A goodies delivery van ,this company now and always has been a part of East Haven for a very long tme .they are a hardware store that has everything and still delivers in 2017 . from one part of main street to their new building on main street but that was in the 70s . are the photos below ...
FROM old news papers 


  E.J Hassan---- A East Haven resident had a paton on a diving bell #.908095 dec 29 1908 page 5917- gaz- vol138 page 2074.      In 1899 the Silver sands hotel was built containing 30 rooms ,a large veranda and elegant view of long iland sound came up for lease in june 1st.   lots for sale the most desirible lots on the east shore at silver sands .  
        JULY 20 1863  --  from a paper in portland me ----the daily eastern augus news paper read --The explosion of the hazard powder mills at East Haven CT.  made a perfect waste for a quarter of a mile away,fences,telegraph poles, and trees being prostrated,and the houses having thier windows,doors and frames shattered. The total loss of property is put down at 30,000,    

   IN 1902 a cereal company called -the american cereal company- by a merger of four oat mills became a cereal tycoon  named Henery Parsons Cromwell   donating most of his weath to a crowell trust  .this company had created a land givaway .in its products were coupons for free land deeds- undevoloped  -     because of paying taxes most were forgoton about as well as land was to small to develop  on and property owners would be found and land became owned by the towns . 1904 Quaker oats company acuired 95 percent of the american cereal company . why am i telling you about this ?.because ---- (liberty park of milford ct) and the know known area of our industral park was the property owned by quaker oats company  . who knew?
     
   1900-s   --- Button ball inn at 11 park place was called its name from the trees in the center of town -- particular seed balls -american sycamoe -- some times you will see the balls today and know you can remember the inn that has been long gone .                            
 
 
 
HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED WHY ?. WHEN IN ANY CITY OR TOWN YOU WOULD NOTICE APARTMENT BUILDINGS OR STORES OR HOUSES THAT HAD ONLY STREET PARKING OR NO PARKING AT ALL? THE REASON IS ,THE BUILDINGS AND STORES WERE BUILT  BEFORE THE AUTOMOBILE. WE HAD WALKED OR USED HORSE AND WAGON,AND EVERY BODY USED THE TROLLEY.  SO THERE WAS NO NEED FOR PARKING OFF THE STREET .IN 1940S THE AUTO BECAME MORE AFFORDABLE AND TROLLEY`S DISAPEARED ,LEAVING PARKING PROBLEMS IN MOST CITYS AND CONGESTION IN THE CENTERS OF TOWNS .BUILDINGS MUST BE TORN DOWN TO MAKE WAY FOR PARKING OF AUTOMOBILE.PARKING METERS SHOWED UP IN CITYS AS WELL AS PARKING GARAGES. 
 
Website Builder